Thursday, May 8, 2008

The great Crib escape!

So over the weekend Silas learned how to climb out of his pack and play. I thought well since it is the smaller of the pack and plays that it was just easier to get out of. NOPE we put him in Cassie Jo's pack and play in Misty's Motor home. He climbed right out of that bigger one as well. I told Bo this weekend it won't be long and he will be climbing out of his own crib. Well last night some time around 2:30 I hear Silas say Momma Daddy. Then I heard foot steps I opened his bedroom door and he was standing at the door to greet me. YES Silas Warner at 22 months old has learned to shimmy up and down his crib. He climbs in my bed and sleeps all over the place. Silas does not stay in one place to sleep. He has to be right under me. Which boots me right off of my bed. I have a California King Bed Its not like its a full size. We have tons of room but when he is in the bed neither Bo or I get any sleep. I woke up this morning feeling like I did when he was a newborn up and down all night long. So please if any of you Mommy's that read this could give me some much needed advice on how to keep him in his bed I would appreciate it much. Blessings

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to give some amazing, life changing advice but my youngest learned how to climb out of her bed and I haven't slept all night until I bought a wonder new comfortable mattress. They both still join us in bed but I am sleeping so well on the mattressI barely notice!
Christina

~*Lisa*~ said...

Ha Ha I wish that would help me, but we just bought new mattress about 3 months ago. That's probably why wild guy wants to sleep with me. Its softer than his bed.

Jordan@Me and My 8 said...

I would consitetly put him back in, and if he still came out I would spank him once and put him back in. And everytime he comes back out, make it a little more severe. My children understood commands at that age, and they knew what I was talking about. Trust me, if a child doesn't want a swift smack to the hind end, he or she will stay put. Even a strong willed child will eventually have enough. As long as you hold your ground and your composure at 2:30 in the morning. :)

If he learns that climbing out of his bed will earn him the reward of getting to sleep in Mommy's big comfy bed, then he will do it every night. Be consistent, and put him back in! Everytime! Be prepared to do it for an hour if thats what it takes. It will be hard now, but the fruit will be sooo enjoyable. Thats what training is all about!

Aaand I think in general children need to learn to stay put when they are told.

These are things that worked for me! Sorry if you hated that advice! Just disreguard if that is the case!

And have you tried putting toys in his crib?

~*Lisa*~ said...

No actually that's very good advice. I did that with both of my girls. I guess you just forget after so many years how you handled things. Consistency is the key here!

I have not ever thought about toys. Does that work for you guys? The only thing that worries me about having toys in there is that he is going to keep his sister's up all night since they sleep in the same room. THANK YOU for taking the time to write that out. I appreciate it mucho!

Jordan@Me and My 8 said...

I know! I forget a ton of things. I had Tavi in early 07, and now that its time to do things for Nayah, I forgot what I did with Tavi! Although a few things could be to blame for that...

Didn't you say the girls were sleeping in the main house? If that were the case then there would be no problem. If they are all in the same room, you could find him some quieter toys like a picture book, mirror, blocks...ya know the stuff the kids in the olden days had to play with before they came out with all this new-fangled stuff!!! :)

~*Lisa*~ said...

They have been sleeping over there so we can get Silas use to sleeping in the new place, but did not want it to be all the time thing. Bo even looked over at me last night and said I miss my girls. I miss checking on them in the night. awww ha ha He loves his girls. SHeesh I think we probably should have just emailed back and forth. ha ha this one single Blog has had more comments than any blog I have ever written. ;o)

BUT thank you for the advice I am going to try to see if I can't find him something to play with that won't go bump in the night!

Anonymous said...

OK...well, I say the more the merrier! :) I know I am in the unpopular minority. However, my boys did not sleep IN the bed with me until they were much older. When they were under 3 and 4..their baby bed and then toddler bed, was up against the wall.... you got it IN my room right next to my bed. When we lived in Arab we had Brady in the crib on one side and Logan in the toddler bed on the other side.

I know my advice will be frowned upon...I'm ok with that. They grow so fast. I love snuggling up with them. You still have to make time for alone time with hubby...which can prove challenging...but it all works out.

I cannot fit both Max and Kylee in my room right now and boy is it tearing me UP! Max is in the nursery... all by his lonesome!! Kylee is STILL in her cosleeper right beside me...sister is 20 something lbs. she still doesn't roll over though....so we're good. It makes me so sad to think of waking up and not being able to just glance over at her.

ANYWAYS... I know my advice is not what you are looking for...but you got it anyhow!

Don't forget to leave those clothes with Laura when you see her!

Love you! Joelle

Anonymous said...

Joelle,
I am with you! I don't want my kids feeling like if they need me I will send them away (not that the other mom is saying that - I just never felt I could go to my parents room if I was scared or needed something). They don't come in everynight and sometimes it does bug me. But I know one day when they are older I am going to long for the days they wanted to be with me so much. Do what is right for your family!
Christina